Thursday, February 10, 2011

Drill and Kill

I haven't yet mentioned my job on "this here blog" so I am thinking that tonight might be a good time to do so. I teach elementary school. I'm currently in my 7th year as a full-time teacher, teaching my 3rd different grade level. As much as I bitch about my job, I really do love my job... but boy, there is A LOT to bitch about in education and teaching these days.
In this state, there is testing, testing, testing... and if my students don't pass, they don't move on to the next grade. Well, there is a LITTLE more to it than that, but that is the long and short of it. I'm getting so irritated by the amount of pressure we feel, and the amount of pressure we're putting on these poor kids. 8 and 9 year olds worked into frenzies because of fear of not passing is ridiculous! And I find myself guilty of pressuring them too- I mean, who knows, in another year or 2 my paycheck could depend on how these kids do! I understand the idea of NCLB- making sure we have literate children and all, but the population I am teaching needs more than the 3 Rs to be successful. They're caught in that vicious cycle of popping out babies, moving from rental to rental, crime, and failing to support their child's education. EDUCATE families and parents PEOPLE! Maybe their children will have a chance of being a successful addition to society.

Ok, test stress is starting I guess. But I promised to mention a positive for the day each time I post. Little though it may be...tonight I picked a chicken carcass and didn't get the hee-bee gee-bees... :p

No comments:

Post a Comment